About Me

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Welcome to My Blog!!!



I never thought that I would ever have a blog. Partly because I never thought I'd have the time for it, but mostly because having other people read the things I write has always intimidated me. I always cringed whenever my mom made me write a paper for school. Not because I didn't like to write (I've aways loved it!), but because I knew that she'd want to read it when I'd finished it. (Imagine that!!!!) There were times that I even tried to convince her to just trust me that it was a good paper and go ahead and give me an A without reading. Needless to say, my efforts were fruitless. Thankfully, over the years the shyness over others reading my work has begun to wear off. It's still not completely gone, but the sick feeling in my stomach and the urge to run and lock myself (and my scribblings) in some dark, forbidden closet no longer haunts me.

Another reason I never thought I'd have a blog is that famous question that seemed to be stamped on my brain: What do I have to write about???? Well, that question still bothers me a little bit, but I've decided that it's not a valid excuse. Everyone has something to share. Every living, breathing human being is filled with a multitude of stories that can be used to fill others with encouragment, knowlege, and inspiration. I wish my great-grandma had kept a journal or had somehow documented things about her life. I would forever treasure to have the opportunity to learn from her experiences as a newlywed at the dawn of the Depression. My family tells many stories about Grandma Stewart, but it's not the same as it would be to hear from her. So many people are like me - they are either too scared to write or they just don't know how to get it out on paper. Little do they realize what an impact they could make in other people's lives just by telling their story. No matter how simple a story it is you can still glean little tidbits of truth and inspiration from it.

This is why I have decided to start this blog. I have a story to tell. I have experiences to share and Biblical truths that have been opened up to me through God's Word and also through others that I am just DYING to share with someone. Life is simply stuffed with lessons that we can learn from if we only look for them. Sometimes God is trying to teach us something and we don't even see it. For me, when I do see what God is doing I simply HAVE to tell somebody. I may be shy about writing, but talking is a completely different story!!! (My mom sometimes refers to me as "Gabby". I think it's usually a hint for me to shut up and get back to work!) That's what I hope to use this blog for - to share my experiences and the things that God shows me during my daily walk with Him. I share these things in the hope that, in some small way, you can learn from them as I do.
So, welcome to my blog and I hope you enjoy it!




3 comments:

  1. "I wish my great-grandma had kept a journal or had somehow documented things about her life."

    I tried everything I knew (except one) to get one of your great-grandmas to write about her life -- my mother, Mildred Setliffe. I gave her a tape recorder with tapes; I gave her notebooks and pens; I begged her to record her stories. She never did. The one thing that might have worked that I didn't try was sitting down and asking her questions, one by one, while I wrote them down. I was working and didn't have the time. Now I wish I had simply taken the time.

    On the other hand, I started writing down stories I remembered knowing or hearing about various relatives, especially those already gone. Maybe you are the one in your generation who would be interested in their stories. My children don't seem interested. Let me know if you are interested.

    By the way, it was your grandma (Ann) who sent me the link to your blog. I'm glad I'm able to read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Bonnie,
    I'd love to read what you've written so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see what I can find -- maybe this weekend -- and share it with you. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete