About Me

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Operation Organization


I have come to the realization that in order for me to accomplish anything profitable during my day I am going to have to schedule it all out. This day is nearly half over and I feel as though I haven't really done much of anything. Morning devotions, a couple chapters of Austen, breakfast, chatting with Mama, straightening up the house, and sitting on the back porch delicately sipping my coffee wondering which of the many projects I have whirling around in my brain should be accomplished today. (You know those people who have lots of great ideas and start many different things, but have a hard time finishing what they start? Yeah...that would be me.) There are so many different things I want to do and for some bizarre reason (the answer for which seems to be unknown to the human race) I feel the need to do them all at the same time. How is this possible? Well...it isn't. This is why I have about 5 unfinished needlework projects in my basket, a quilt that I've been working on for about 6 years (and no, it's not that big), a book list with about 15 books labled "started, but not finished", a dress that has been cut out and is sitting in a drawer with the pattern still pinned to it, 4 chapters of what was going to be a 400 page novel stashed away in a deep dark corner of my computers, and....well, you get the idea. My room is the warehouse for all of my unfinished projects. Make that an unorganized warehouse!


Organization is not something that comes naturally to me. It is a painful process. I'm one of those people that can easily appear to be organized, but in all reality I'm so scattered that half the time I don't know which way is up. (It is for this reason that my closet door stays shut and my dresser and vanity drawers are off limits.) Even my Bible is suffering from my lack of organization. If you pick it up the wrong way a shower of papers littered with my scribblings will baptize the floor. I find it quite easy to sit and sip my coffee while imagining how wonderful it would be to have my life organized and operating in a comfortable sense of regularity. Although, if life could just learn how to organize itself that would be even more wonderful.


Not only do my things need to be organized, but I feel the need to organize my activity as well. As I said, it is so easy for me to just sit and relax while making a mental note of everything that needs to be done. At the end of the day usually only half of these things actually end up being crossed off the list. Either I forgot about them (my memory has a habit of losing track of the things which I don't really want to do!) or I found something else to do that seemed more profitable or more enjoyable to me at the time - the latter being the most likely case. I've written out a cleaning schedule for the entire family and for the most part, we follow it. (Although, I have gotten a little behind this week...)


However, while I am able to stay on top of the cleaning and keep track of the housework, everything else is still suffering. So I asked myself, what is it that motivates me to do the scheduled cleaning? The answer proves that I am an extreemely visual person. I made up a sheet with my daily chores listed for every day of the week. Next to each task is a box for me to check it off when I've finished. (My favorite one to check off is the bathroom!) I have this list taped up on my wall in a spot where I have to look at it mutiple times every day. This way, my faulty memory doesn't have the chance to "forget" anything. I recently discovered that I need to move the list to a different location in my room about once a week. If it stays in one spot for too long I get used to it being there and I don't ever look at it - kind of defeating the purpose. There's something about seeing that list up there with all those empty boxes waiting to be filled with little check marks that motivates me to get up and get it all done as quickly as possible. That little row of check marks may seem insignificant, but it brings a great sense of satisfaction to me.


So, now I am applying the same principle to everything else. I am making a checklist for everything that needs to be accomplished each day - cleaning, Bible study, reading (specifying which book so I can actually finish one!), writing, sewing/needlework (specifying which project!), people I need to call or email, cooking, ect. and so forth. God gave me 24 hours in a day so the least I can do is use them in a profitable way. If making a list of everything is what I have to do, then so be it. Seems a little radical, I know, but something has to be done and this was the first idea that popped into my head. We'll try it and see how it goes. I am going to become an organized person if it kills me. Now I just have to motivate myself to make the list... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment