About Me

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The "Question"

The "question". Maybe it would be better if I said THE question. We've all been asked this question at some point in our lives. People word it different ways, but it usually goes something like, "Where do you go to school?", "Where do you work?", or the ever popular, "What do you do?". This question has the ability to effect us in a variety of ways. Our hands itch, our stomachs feel like they're going to fly away, and the gift of speech seems to fly the coop. Why do we feel this way? Most likely the person is just trying to be polite by expressing an interest in what we do. The problem is, many people don't understand what we do or why. There are a few who even go so far as to mock us.


Mockery. Not a fun thing when you're on the recieving end of it. I, being the people-pleaser that I am, tend to shy away from people that I feel will not have any difficulty in advertising their opinion of my convictions to the general public. Mockery is a powerful thing. It hurts the most when it comes from people you respect. When I decided to leave school and stay at home, the hardest part of the decision was knowing that I would be showered with questions. I knew that some would understand and respect my decision and others wouldn't, but it still hurt when friends and even family would give me "the look" and try to argue me back into the "real world".


It hurts. No one likes to feel as though they are different or odd so we come up with ways to "protect" ourselves. It is so easy for us to forget that "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake," and when someone asks THE question we panic and go into defense mode. We talk down about ourselves and give the impression that we're ashamed of staying at home. We make it seem like staying at home is no big deal or perhaps we give the impression that it's only temporary. I have to fight the urge to simply stare at my feet as I conjure up pitiful responses like, "Well, I'm just staying at home right now...helping Mom around the house, you know."


This is absolutely the worst response we could possibly give to anyone. God has called women to play very important role and when we pretend to be ashamed of this calling we give a bad testimony to others and we dishonor God and His Word.

Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may recieve what is promised..."but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him." But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
Hebrews 10. 35,36,38,39

In choosing to stay at home, we are choosing to follow God's perfect plan for our lives. Why then should we be ashamed of it? We have scripture on our side. God tells us that a virtuous woman, "looks well to the ways of her household." (Proverbs 31.27) How can we do this if we spend the majority of our time outside of the household?

It is foolish to assume that everyone will respond negatively. Many times someone has asked me what I do and as I respond I brace myself for the very worst. My mind starts spinning and the butterflies begin to rise into my throat as I force out my reply only to be met with a glowing and positive response. It makes me feel terribly silly. We need to realize that though we are going against the norm that modern society has laid before us, we are following God's perfect plan for our lives. It is foolish to think that God's Word will meet with nothing but negativity.

We are daughters of the King of Kings who are striving to live our lives in such a way that is pleasing in His sight. What then do we have to be ashamed of? We can hold our heads high as we tell people about our calling. We are simply striving to follow His perfect plan with the Scriptures as our guide. If we can gracefully and unashamedly communicate God's truth to the people we interact with, they will be far less likely to respond to our calling with negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment